Taconite is a small town located in the northern region of Minnesota. It has a population of approximately 1,400 people and is situated in the heart of Iron Range country. The town was founded in 1892 when iron ore was discovered in the area and quickly became a major producer of taconite pellets, which are used to make steel.
The geography of Taconite is mostly flat and rolling hills with thick forests surrounding it. The climate is cold and snowy during winter months with temperatures dropping below freezing for weeks at a time. Summers are mild but can be hot and humid as well. Check ehangzhou for best time to travel to Minnesota.
Taconite has an interesting history as it began as an industrial center for the iron ore industry but slowly transformed into a small rural community over the years. It is also home to many historical landmarks such as Grand Portage State Park, which includes a replica of an old fur trading fort from the 1700s, and Taconite Harbor, which is home to one of the largest inland marinas on Lake Superior.
Politically speaking, Taconite leans towards liberal values with most residents voting Democratic in state elections. In terms of economy, the town relies heavily on tourism due to its proximity to Lake Superior and its abundance of outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, etc.
Taconite has two schools within city limits: Grand Portage Elementary School and Taconite High School. Both schools offer quality education with an emphasis on STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) curriculum for students interested in pursuing those fields later in life.
In addition to its educational institutions, Taconite also boasts many landmarks that are worth visiting such as Grand Portage State Park where visitors can explore old fur trading sites or take part in some canoeing or kayaking activities; Split Rock Lighthouse which offers spectacular views from atop its cliff-side perch; or Bear Head Lake State Park which offers excellent fishing opportunities along with trails for biking and hiking enthusiasts alike.
Population: 315. Estimated population in July 2020: 285 (-9.5% change)
Males: 153 (48.6%), Females: 162 (51.4%)
Zip code: 55786
Median resident age: 37.9 years
Median household income: $30,250
Median house value: $40,400
Races in Taconite:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.9%)
- Two or more races (3.2%)
- American Indian (2.5%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (21.0%), Norwegian (15.2%), Irish (14.0%), Swedish (11.7%), French Canadian (10.5%), French (9.8%).
Elevation: 1390 feet
Land area: 4.9 square miles
Taconite, Minnesota is a small town located in the Iron Range region of northern Minnesota. It has a population of about 1,000 people and is known for its mining industry. The median household income in Taconite is $35,739, which is lower than the national average. The cost of living in Taconite is also lower than the national average, but still higher than many other rural towns in Minnesota. Housing costs are especially low with a median home value of just $90,700 and a median monthly rent of $675. Utilities are also relatively affordable with an average monthly cost of about $150. Groceries and transportation costs are also relatively low when compared to other towns in Minnesota with an average monthly grocery bill of approximately $400 and an average monthly transportation cost of around $300. Overall, Taconite offers its residents an affordable cost of living that makes it attractive to those looking for a rural lifestyle without breaking the bank.
For population 25 years and over in Taconite
- High school or higher: 92.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 9.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Taconite city
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 56.9%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 9.7%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +8 (+2.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Taconite:
- ITASCA MEMORIAL CENTER (about 13 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MN)
- NORTHERN ITASCA HOSPITAL DISTRICT (about 29 miles; BIGFORK, MN)
- UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER-MESABI (about 30 miles; HIBBING, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Taconite:
- GRAND RAPIDS/ITASCA CO-GORDON NEWSTROM FLD (about 13 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MN; Abbreviation: GPZ)
- CHISHOLM-HIBBING (about 37 miles; HIBBING, MN; Abbreviation: HIB)
- BRAINERD LAKES RGNL (about 84 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Abbreviation: BRD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Taconite:
- HILL CITY-QUADNA MOUNTAIN (about 30 miles; HILL CITY, MN; Abbreviation: 07Y)
- BIGFORK MUNI (about 37 miles; BIGFORK, MN; Abbreviation: FOZ)
- BOWSTRING (about 38 miles; BOWSTRING, MN; Abbreviation: 9Y0)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Taconite:
- CENTRAL LAKES COLLEGE-BRAINERD (about 87 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,364)
- LAKE SUPERIOR COLLEGE (about 89 miles; DULUTH, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,512)
- UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA-DULUTH (about 96 miles; DULUTH, MN; Full-time enrollment: 8,224)
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-SUPERIOR (about 98 miles; SUPERIOR, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,436)
- NORTHWEST TECHNICAL COLLEGE-BEMIDJI (about 106 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,761)
- BEMIDJI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 106 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,562)
- SAINT CLOUD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 134 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,183)