According to best-medical-schools, Pukwana, South Dakota is a small city with a population of just over 1,500 people. It is located in the south-central part of the state and is surrounded by rolling hills and prairies. The climate in Pukwana is generally mild, with warm summers and cold winters. The city was founded in 1884 as a trading post by settlers from Iowa and Wisconsin. It was incorporated in 1901.
Politically, Pukwana leans conservative, with most of its residents voting Republican in national elections. The city has its own mayor-council form of government, with the mayor elected every two years and four council members elected at large for four-year terms.
The economy of Pukwana is primarily agricultural-based, with many farmers growing wheat, corn, soybeans, and other crops on the surrounding land. There are also some small businesses located within the city limits that provide services to local residents.
Pukwana has two schools: Pukwana Elementary School (grades K-8) and Pukwana High School (grades 9-12). Both schools have small enrollments but offer a variety of programs to help their students succeed academically and athletically.
When it comes to landmarks, there are several historical sites around Pukwana that are worth visiting. These include the old trading post that gave rise to the city’s founding as well as several churches built during the late 1800s and early 1900s. There is also an old coal mine near town that was once used to power local industries before it was closed down in 1921 due to safety concerns.
Population: 287. Estimated population in July 2020: 281 (-2.1% change)
Males: 145 (50.5%), Females: 142 (49.5%)
Zip code: 57370
Median resident age: 36.2 years
Median household income: $27,500
Median house value: $46,500
Races in Pukwana:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.5%)
- American Indian (2.8%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (42.5%), Irish (17.4%), Czech (13.2%), Norwegian (8.7%), English (6.6%), Danish (5.9%).
Elevation: 1549 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
Pukwana, South Dakota is a small town located in Brule County. It has a population of just over 200 people, most of whom are of European descent. Most of the town’s residents are employed in agriculture, with some also working in retail and service industries. The town has a few small businesses, including a grocery store and several restaurants. The town also has its own post office and library. Education is provided by the Pukwana School District, which serves grades K-12. The district offers a variety of extracurricular activities for students to participate in such as sports, music, and more. The community also puts on events throughout the year to celebrate holidays and other occasions. Residents gather at festivals like the annual Pukwana Days celebration each summer to enjoy food, music, and entertainment from local vendors. Pukwana is home to several churches as well as parks where families can relax on the weekends or take part in various activities such as fishing or camping. Overall, Pukwana is a close-knit community with plenty of things to do for all ages.
For population 25 years and over in Pukwana
- High school or higher: 81.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 11.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pukwana town
- Never married: 23.3%
- Now married: 56.4%
- Separated: 4.0%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 11.4%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +18 (+6.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Pukwana:
- MID-DAKOTA HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; CHAMBERLAIN, SD)
- PLATTE HEALTH CENTER – CAH (about 31 miles; PLATTE, SD)
- COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL-CAH (about 41 miles; BURKE, SD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pukwana:
- HURON REGIONAL (about 79 miles; HURON, SD; Abbreviation: HON)
- PIERRE REGIONAL (about 87 miles; PIERRE, SD; Abbreviation: PIR)
- ABERDEEN REGIONAL (about 126 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Abbreviation: ABR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pukwana:
- CHAMBERLAIN MUNI (about 10 miles; CHAMBERLAIN, SD; Abbreviation: 9V9)
- KIMBALL MUNI (about 16 miles; KIMBALL, SD; Abbreviation: 6A6)
- PLATTE MUNI (about 37 miles; PLATTE, SD; Abbreviation: 1D3)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pukwana:
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 126 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 169 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Full-time enrollment: 6,014)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 169 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 171 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Full-time enrollment: 7,353)
- WAYNE STATE COLLEGE (about 184 miles; WAYNE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,026)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT KEARNEY (about 202 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,588)
- CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 206 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,730)