According to Allpubliclibraries, Monteagle is an unincorporated town located in Marion County, Tennessee. With a population of 1,859 as of 2019, it is the largest city in Marion County. Geographically, Monteagle is situated along the Cumberland Plateau in the southeastern part of Tennessee. The climate in Monteagle is moderate, with hot summers and mild winters.
Monteagle has a rich history that dates back to 1820 when it was first established as a settlement for early settlers from Virginia and North Carolina who journeyed to the area in search of land and opportunity. The town was incorporated in 1853, and has since evolved into a thriving community with a strong economy rooted in tourism and industry.
Politically speaking, Monteagle is part of the 10th Congressional District of Tennessee. It also serves as the county seat for Marion County. Education-wise, there are several schools located within Monteagle’s city limits such as: South Cumberland Elementary School, Monteagle Elementary School, Grundy County High School, and Sequatchie Valley Middle/High School.
Monteagle boasts numerous landmarks that are popular attractions among locals and visitors alike such as: Sewanee Natural Bridge State Park which features breathtaking views of the Cumberland Plateau; Beersheba Springs which offers natural hot springs; Fort Blount Historic Site which preserves an old civil war fort; Grundy Lake State Park where visitors can enjoy camping or fishing; and Arnold Air Force Base which is home to one of America’s most prestigious air force bases. Additionally, each year Monteagle plays host to several festivals including its popular Fall Festival which attracts thousands from all over the country each year.
Population: 1,238. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,220 (-1.5% change)
Males: 584 (47.2%), Females: 654 (52.8%)
Zip code: 37356
Median resident age: 44.8 years
Median household income: $24,464
Median house value: $69,600
Races in Monteagle:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.1%)
- Black (1.4%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
Ancestries: United States (32.6%), English (8.1%), Irish (6.4%), German (4.6%), Scotch-Irish (3.7%), French (1.9%).
Elevation: 1920 feet
Land area: 8.1 square miles
Monteagle, Tennessee is a small town located in the Cumberland Plateau region of Tennessee. The population of Monteagle is estimated to be 1,405 according to the 2018 U.S. Census. The majority of the population is white, making up 91.9% of the total population, while African Americans make up 5.3%. Hispanics and Latinos make up 1.6% and Asians 0.2%. The median age in Monteagle is 44 years old, with a median household income of $33,125 annually and a poverty rate of 17%.
Monteagle is home to many businesses and attractions that draw in tourists from all over the country. One popular attraction is Beersheba Springs Hotel which was built in 1833 and has been renovated into a bed and breakfast inn with modern amenities such as spa services and fine dining options for guests to enjoy during their stay. Monteagle also boasts many outdoor recreational activities such
For population 25 years and over in Monteagle
- High school or higher: 59.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.9%
- Unemployed: 3.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Monteagle town
- Never married: 19.9%
- Now married: 56.7%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 12.9%
2.0% Foreign born (1.5% Europe, 0.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +44 (+3.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Monteagle:
- GRANDVIEW MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; JASPER, TN)
- SOUTHERN TENNESSEE MEDICAL CENTER (about 22 miles; WINCHESTER, TN)
- COFFEE MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; MANCHESTER, TN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Monteagle:
- LOVELL FIELD (about 47 miles; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Abbreviation: CHA)
- SMYRNA (about 71 miles; SMYRNA, TN; Abbreviation: MQY)
- HUNTSVILLE INTL-CARL T JONES FIELD (about 77 miles; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Abbreviation: HSV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Monteagle:
- FRANKLIN COUNTY (about 5 miles; SEWANEE, TN; Abbreviation: UOS)
- WINCHESTER MUNI (about 16 miles; WINCHESTER, TN; Abbreviation: BGF)
- MARION COUNTY-BROWN FIELD (about 22 miles; JASPER, TN; Abbreviation: APT)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Monteagle:
- MOTLOW STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 28 miles; Tullahoma, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,256)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE-CHATTANOOGA (about 40 miles; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Full-time enrollment: 6,914)
- CHATTANOOGA STATE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 43 miles; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Full-time enrollment: 4,821)
- MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; MURFREESBORO, TN; Full-time enrollment: 16,617)
- ALABAMA A & M UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; NORMAL, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,886)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IN HUNTSVILLE (about 67 miles; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,795)
- TENNESSEE TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY (about 68 miles; COOKEVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 7,204)
Public primary/middle school in Monteagle:
- MONTEAGLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 267; Location: 120 EAST MAIN ST; Grades: KG – 08)