According to 800zipcodes, Grand Coteau, Louisiana is a small city located in the southern part of the state, just off I-49. It is about 20 miles from Lafayette and 40 miles from Baton Rouge. The climate in Grand Coteau is hot and humid during the summer months, with temperatures reaching into the mid-90s and high humidity levels. Winters are mild with temperatures rarely dipping below freezing.
The history of Grand Coteau dates back to the late 1700s when French settlers arrived in the area, giving it its current name which translates to “large hill” in French. The city was officially incorporated in 1839, making it one of the oldest cities in Louisiana. In recent years, Grand Coteau has become known as a cultural hub for south Louisiana.
Politically, Grand Coteau is part of St Landry Parish and has been since 1807 when it was created by an act of Congress. The current mayor of Grand Coteau is Ron Ceasar who was elected in 2016 and reelected for a second term this past year.
The economy of Grand Coteau is largely based on agriculture with most businesses related to farming or ranching activities such as livestock production and crop harvesting. There are also several small businesses located within the city limits that offer various services such as plumbing and auto repair shops as well as restaurants and retail stores.
Grand Coteau also has several schools including two elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, a community college branch campus, and two private Catholic schools. All these institutions provide quality education to students living within their respective districts or parishes.
Finally, there are several landmarks that make up this small town including St Charles Borromeo Church which was built in 1820 and served as a place of worship for early settlers; Magnolia Plantation which is an old plantation house that dates back to 1830; Old City Hall which was built in 1901; and finally La Petite Maison which is an old house built in 1795 that now serves as a museum showcasing local history and culture.
Population: 1,040. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,035 (-0.5% change)
Males: 485 (46.6%), Females: 555 (53.4%)
Zip code: 70541
Median resident age: 35.5 years
Median household income: $19,943
Median house value: $49,800
Races in Grand Coteau:
- Black (67.7%)
- White Non-Hispanic (29.8%)
- Hispanic (1.8%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
Ancestries: French (10.2%), French Canadian (6.3%), United States (3.8%), German (3.6%), Irish (3.3%), English (1.4%).
Elevation: 53 feet
Land area: 2.4 square miles
Grand Coteau, Louisiana is a small town located in the heart of St. Landry Parish. It is home to around 1,300 people, with an estimated median household income of $30,000. The majority of the population is African American (84%), with the remaining 16% being Caucasian. According to the 2010 census, Grand Coteau had a population density of 471 people per square mile.
The majority of employment opportunities in Grand Coteau are in service-related industries such as food services and retail sales. However, there are also some manufacturing jobs available in the area. The town is also home to several churches and schools that serve as important anchors within the community. Grand Coteau is served by two public schools: Grand Coteau Elementary and Grand Coteau High School. Additionally, there are several private schools available for those looking for a more personalized education experience.
The town has a unique culture that combines elements from both its African American and Caucasian populations. Music plays an important role in the culture of Grand Coteau with numerous local bands performing at festivals throughout the year and live music venues popping up all around town on weekends. Local art galleries often display works from both local artists as well as those from abroad. There are also plenty of outdoor activities for residents to enjoy such as camping, fishing, hunting and even bird watching!
For population 25 years and over in Grand Coteau
- High school or higher: 67.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.6%
- Unemployed: 15.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grand Coteau town
- Never married: 38.6%
- Now married: 41.4%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 9.6%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -76 (-6.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Grand Coteau:
- UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER (about 7 miles; LAFAYETTE, LA)
- DOCTORS HOSPITAL OF OPELOUSAS (about 9 miles; OPELOUSAS, LA)
- OPELOUSAS GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; OPELOUSAS, LA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Grand Coteau:
- LAFAYETTE REGIONAL (about 16 miles; LAFAYETTE, LA; Abbreviation: LFT)
- ACADIANA REGIONAL (about 29 miles; NEW IBERIA, LA; Abbreviation: ARA)
- BATON ROUGE METROPOLITAN, RYAN FIELD (about 64 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Abbreviation: BTR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Grand Coteau:
- KIBS AIR PARK (about 7 miles; BRISTOL, LA; Abbreviation: L89)
- ST LANDRY PARISH-AHART FIELD (about 10 miles; OPELOUSAS, LA; Abbreviation: OPL)
- BORDELON AIRPARK (about 15 miles; BREAUX BRIDGE, LA; Abbreviation: L28)
Amtrak station near Grand Coteau:
- 14 miles: LAFAYETTE (133 E. GRANT ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grand Coteau:
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT LAFAYETTE (about 17 miles; LAFAYETTE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 13,673)
- SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AND A & M COLLEGE (about 60 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 8,399)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIV & AG & MECH & HEBERT LAWS CTR (about 60 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 28,696)
- MCNEESE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 90 miles; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Full-time enrollment: 6,460)
- NICHOLLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 96 miles; THIBODAUX, LA; Full-time enrollment: 6,244)
- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY (about 109 miles; HAMMOND, LA; Full-time enrollment: 12,549)
- NORTHWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 116 miles; NATCHITOCHES, LA; Full-time enrollment: 7,710)
Private high school in Grand Coteau:
- ACADEMY OF THE SACRED HEART (Students: 345; Location: 1841 ACADEMY RD P O BOX 310; Grades: PK – 12; Girls only)
Public primary/middle school in Grand Coteau:
- GRAND COTEAU ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 203; Location: 238 CHURCH STREET; Grades: PK – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Grand Coteau:
- ST IGNATIUS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 328; Location: PO BOX J; Grades: PK – 8)