Citizens coming from foreign countries must have a visa to enter the territory of Russia. The exceptions are the countries that are part of the CIS, as well as countries that have signed an agreement on a visa-free regime. Check a2zdirectory for history of Russia.
Registration of a Russian visa for foreign citizens can be carried out in the country of permanent residence or in the country where the citizen has a residence permit.
When applying for visas, there is a general procedure, as well as a basic list of required documents, which, abroad, by one or another representative office of the Russian Federation, can be significantly supplemented.
The term for issuing a visa directly depends on the state in which the application for a visa is submitted, and on the type of visa. Visa processing can usually take from 7 to 10 business days. Urgent visa processing is also possible, on average it takes 1-3 days.
Visa and consular fees
The amount of the consular fee depends on the country in which the application was submitted, on the type of visa, as well as on the urgency of its issuance.
Foreign citizens wishing to visit the Russian Federation for the purpose of tourism must purchase a tourist visa.
When entering the country on a private visit (visiting relatives or friends living in the Russian Federation), you must apply for this type of visa and have with you the original official invitation, which is provided by a citizen of the Russian Federation. Such an invitation is issued in the departments of the Russian Federal Migration Service of the Ministry of Internal Affairs at the place of permanent residence of a citizen of the Russian Federation. This type of visa is issued for up to 30 days.
A transit visa is valid for 72 hours.
When entering the country for study, work or a business visit, a business or study visa is required. The validity of such a visa is from one month to a year.
The import of Russian and foreign currency into the country is not limited, but amounts exceeding $10,000 are subject to mandatory declaration. See Russia import restrictions.
Export of foreign or Russian currency from the country is carried out without additional documents, if the amount is not more than $10,000. The amount of more than $ 3 thousand is subject to mandatory declaration.
Exceeding these norms when exporting cash is possible only if the total amount is declared, as well as if there is a permit obtained from the Central Bank of the Russian Federation.
The export of travel checks, the total amount of which is more than $ 10 thousand, is subject to mandatory declaration in writing.
The country is allowed to import duty-free things and goods that are not intended for commercial or industrial activities.
Persons over the age of 18 may import duty-free:
- up to 3 liters of alcoholic beverages;
- up to 50 cigars or 200 cigarettes or 250 g of tobacco;
- things and goods for personal use (clothing, toiletries, jewelry, photo and film equipment, etc.)
The total value of goods imported into the country must be no more than 1500 EUR, and the total weight must be up to 50 kilograms.
If the above norm is exceeded, a single rate of customs duty is applicable, a 30% tax on the customs value of the specified goods is also charged from the tourist, not more than 4 EUR per 1 kilogram.
Crossing the border of the Russian Federation in your car provides duty-free import of up to 20 liters of fuel, excluding the fuel contained in the tank.
Precious stones and metals imported into the country in any condition and form are subject to mandatory declaration (with the exception of personal jewelry and other household products); ammunition, weapons, radioactive, psychotropic, poisonous, explosive, poisonous and narcotic substances and strong medicines; cultural and artistic values, radio receiving and transmitting complexes with an operating frequency of more than 9 kHz.
Duty-free import of works of art is allowed on the terms of the declaration, which will be followed by registration with the Ministry of Culture.
Prohibited for import to Russia:
- Photo, video and printed products containing elements of pornography, as well as containing state and official secrets, propaganda of fascism, religious, national and racial hatred;
- Objects of wild flora and fauna, endangered species, their parts and products derived from them;
- Fruits and vegetables without an appropriate phytosanitary certificate;
- Samples of military-style weapons, ammunition.
It is forbidden to export from Russia:
- Ammunition, weapons, radioactive and explosives;
- Psychotropic and narcotic substances and honey. drugs, potent drugs;
- poisonous and poisonous substances;
- Antiques and art;
- Products made of precious and non-ferrous metals in an amount that exceeds personal needs;
- Representatives of flora and fauna, which are under the protection of the state, all types of sturgeon fish and their caviar, more than 250 grams (factory packaging is required, as well as a saved store receipt).