Customs Regulations and Visa Requirements of Japan

Visa application

Before visiting Japan, all Russian tourists must apply for a Japanese visa in their passport. The submission of an application for a visa is necessarily preceded by the receipt by the tourist of a number of documents certified by the inviting party and the guarantor (individuals and legal entities officially registered in Japan ). Only after receiving them, the applicant can start processing the visa itself. Check a2zdirectory for history of Japan.

For a trip with a tourist purpose, the inviting party will need to receive documents such as:

  • Letter explaining the reason for the invitation;
  • Tourist stay plan in the country;
  • Warranty document;
  • Certificates of the guarantor organization (certificate of registration, characteristics of the activities and structure of the enterprise, a copy from the directory of stock market firms, tax information);
  • Certificates giving an explanation of the purpose of the trip and certifying the fact of purchase and payment for the tour;
  • Hotel and flight booking confirmation.

Most often, tourists receive a short-term visa with the right to stay in Japan up to 15, less often 30 days once or twice. In this case, it is necessary to have a hotel reservation for the entire period of stay in the country. To obtain the said visa (in addition to the above documents with copies), you will need the following documents:

  • Passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of return from the trip;
  • A copy of the initial page of the international passport on A4 paper;
  • A copy of the pages where personal data and registration are posted, in the same format;
  • 2 questionnaires, which the applicant must fill out in English and sign (data on children who do not have their own passport are included in the questionnaire);
  • 2 color or black-and-white photos of 4.5×4.5 cm format, taken a maximum of six months before applying for a visa;
  • Certificate from the organization where the applicant works, containing an indication of the position held and the amount of salary (pensioners provide a copied pension certificate, and students and schoolchildren – a certificate from the educational institution);
  • Non-working citizens must submit a letter from the person sponsoring the trip and a certificate from his place of work;
  • In addition to the above, tickets may be required, as well as documents certifying the sufficient financial solvency of the tourist;
  • Children at the age of 14 are issued their own passport. For children who are recorded in the passports of their parents and have reached the age of 6 years, a photograph must be taken. Also (except for the already mentioned) it is necessary to provide the original and a copy of the birth certificate and parental consent certified by a notary to take the child out if he is accompanied by only one of the parents.

Japanese consulates and embassies have every right to request additional documents. The period between the preparation of the document and its submission should not exceed three months.

If Japan is an intermediate point for a tourist flying to a third country (such as Australia, New Zealand or the countries and islands of the Pacific Ocean), you need to apply for a transit visa. It will allow you to stay in Tokyo and its environs for no more than 72 hours. To obtain such a visa, you need two application forms, two photographs of the format 4.5 × 4.5, 3.5 × 4.5 or 5 × 6 cm, a passport, a certificate from the workplace, original air tickets along the entire route and a visa of a third country, in sent by the tourist.

Submission of documents is carried out by the applicant personally, but they can also be submitted by a travel agency accredited by the embassy or the Japanese Consulate General. Documents are submitted to the consulate belonging territorially to the place of residence of the applicant.

At the Moscow consulate, documents are accepted on Monday-Friday, from 09.30 to 12.00, and visas are issued on the same days, but from 14.30 to 17.30. An application for both a short-term and a transit visa is considered within 4 working days (excluding holidays and weekends).

There is no visa fee, only the transfer of documents is paid (about 5-10 dollars). You need to pay when submitting documents. A single entry short stay visa is valid for 3 months.

Customs regulations

Japanese customs regulations are strict, and if they are not followed, a tourist faces a lifetime refusal to enter the country. See Japan import restrictions.

Allowed to import duty-free:

Arrivals over the age of 20 can bring

  • No more than 400 cigarettes or 100 cigars, or up to 500 g of tobacco;
  • Up to 3 bottles of alcoholic beverages with a capacity of not more than 0.75 liters each;
  • Perfume no more than 56 ml;
  • Various other goods (souvenirs, gifts), the total value of which does not exceed 200 thousand yen;
  • The import of currency, both Japanese and foreign, is not limited;
  • Before importing animals or plants, you need to contact the Japan Quarantine Bureau and take care of the microchip and the necessary vaccinations.

Allowed to export duty-free:

Alcoholic and tobacco products in a reasonable amount, as well as local and foreign currency in the total amount of not more than 1 million yen (amounts exceeding this limit must be declared). Items made of 900-carat gold with a total weight of more than a kilogram are also subject to declarations.

It is forbidden to import and export from Japan:

  • Firearms and ammunition (for the import of cold, hunting and pneumatic weapons, you need permission from the National Security Service of Japan);
  • Narcotic and psychotropic substances;
  • Certain types of medicines (especially those containing deoxyephedrine);
  • Counterfeit securities and money;
  • Fresh fruits, vegetables and plants;
  • A number of food products of animal origin (meat and meat products, primarily);
  • Materials, films and publications of a pornographic nature, as well as containing violent and cruel scenes;
  • Printed publications and other materials that undermine public order;
  • Counterfeit products, as well as things and items that may harm any trademark or patent and copyright;
  • Art and antiques without the permission of the relevant authorities.

Japan country